I LOVE to eat out. Trying new restaurants has always been a delicious hobby of mine. I love the whole concept of eating out: you don’t have to cook, you get to get dressed up, everyone has to have good manners, and after a long week of taking care of everyone else some finally is serving you.
Although eating out is fun, the calories can add up fast. Coming from a culinary background, I know most restaurants use tons of butter and fat to cook with and why not it makes everything taste great! Since I have been going out quit a bit lately I though I would share the fit tips I use while dinning out.
- Save your carb/yellow containers, if you know you are going to be having a drink or want something more calorie dense
- Don’t eat all of you fat for that day, the food will have more than you normally cook with.
- Get your workout on. Push yourself as hard as you can the night of your dinner out and the night after, make sure you are doing your 10 minute ab tape to help counter act any extra bloating
- While at dinner, constantly be drinking your water. It will slow you down your eating and drinking
Taste everything, eat nothing
- Enjoy a bite or two of the group appetizer, bread, desert, etc. do not over do it. Enjoy those few small bites, chewing them well. Take your time and enjoy it. Don’t wolf it down and not even taste anything
- Put the amount of food you want of the appetizers on your plate and don’t go back for seconds. For example, if you are eating Mexican food, put a few chips with some salsa on your plate then your done.
- Order something off the menu that looks clean, a local fish dish, or a steak with sides a la carte. I always ask for double vegetable, no starch since I want to have a glass of wine.
This weekend we went out twice, I didn’t take the best pictures of the first restaurant we went too, Temazcal, since I forgot….I’m going to blame that one on the spicy margarita…
Besides the margarita, I enjoyed some chips and salsa, shrimp ceviche, and roasted vegetables.
The following night, my parents and I went to G-Bar, a cute little bistro near the water in the small town I grew up in. We had a spicy cauliflower appetizer and their version of bang bang shrimp. The cauliflower was okay, it wasn’t as spicy as I had hoped. The bang bang shrimp where crispy and salty, perfect to enjoy a drink with before your meal.
For my entree I had the Fresh Catch which was seared stripped bass with lightly sautéed vegetables. It was amazing! The fish was crispy on the outside and super soft and tender on the inside. It has a light lemon sauce with tons of fresh herbs, G-Bar nailed it!
The food was delicious, the atmosphere was great, the servers where really cool to talk to, we had such a fun time in both restaurants AND I didn’t gain a pound!
I hope you like my tips! Let me know if you give them a try!